Accreditation Phases and Expectations
- There are two phases to achieving AABB accreditation for the first time or adding a new activity; the self-assessment phase followed by the on-site assessment phase.
- The majority of facilities complete both the initial self-assessment phase and the on-site assessment phase in 1 – 2 years and achieve AABB accreditation. Much of this will depend on the readiness of the facility when they begin the process, the knowledge of their staff, and the amount of time and resources available to work on the AABB accreditation process. In some instances, this timeframe will be shorter and in other instances it will be longer.
- Once accredited, a facility goes through the accreditation process (on-site assessment phase) every two years.
- The expectations of an AABB assessment are that all standards are addressed in policies, processes and procedures (PPP's), and that PPP's are followed as written.
*** PLEASE NOTE THAT A FACILITY MUST BE IN OPERATION FOR A MINIMUM OF 6 MONTHS (in the desired activity) BEFORE THE INITIAL ACCREDITATION PROCESS CAN BEGIN ***
Steps to Become AABB Accredited
activities for which accreditation is desired.
- Non-member facilities submit a completed
Institutional Membership Application to
- AABB accredited facilities adding a new activity submit a completed
Facility Personnel Contact Information form
and list of the activity(ies) for which the facility is seeking accreditation to
- Access to APEX accreditation portal is set up and login information provided.
- The facility provides qualifying details in the APEX portal for the accreditation activities of interest.
- Membership emails a dues invoice to the facility. Information about
AABB Institutional Membership pricing for accreditation is available online.
- The facility pays dues.
- The facility conducts self-assessment in APEX portal, in preparation for the onsite assessment.
- The facility goes through the on-site process. Upon successful completion, the facility becomes AABB accredited.
***PLEASE NOTE THAT ADVERTISING ANY RELATIONSHIP TO AABB IS NOT PERMITTED UNTIL THE FACILITY/NEW ACTIVITY BECOMES ACCREDITED AND RECEIVES THEIR AABB CERTIFICATE***
For those interested in pursuing AABB Accreditation who would like more information regarding the program, please
click here to receive more information.
Questions may be directed to the Accreditation Department at +1.301.215.6492 or