Donor and Patient safety.
Preliminary Evaluation using current Standards
Determine whether your organization’s practices comply with the AABB Standards. Standards may be obtained at our Marketplace.
View detailed information about
becoming an accredited facility and eligibility. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for a personal consultation or call Accreditation Department +1.301.215.6492
Requirements for accreditation
- Be in operation for a minimum of 6 months in the desired activity before applying.
- Able to meet all standards
- Pay dues
- Complete entire accreditation process.
Activities eligible for accreditation
Accredited activities includes the following:
- Blood Banking – collection, testing, distribution, and administration of blood and blood components
- Cellular Therapies
- Hematopoietic Progenitor Cell (Apheresis and Bone Marrow)
- Cord Blood
- Somatic Cell
- Clinical Activities
- Perioperative activities
- Relationship testing laboratories
- Immunohematology reference laboratories
- Molecular Testing – red cell, platelet, and neutrophil antigens
Evaluate your facility(ies)
Evaluate your level of compliance with the Standards related to the activities performed at your facility(ies). Ensure that there is a policy, procedure, or process for EACH element in the standards.
Become an institutional member
To become accredited, a facility becomes an
AABB Accredited Institutional member (AI) and completes ALL of the steps in the
Initial Accreditation Process followed by a formal accreditation assessment.
Fees are based on volume and type of activity.
- Complete applicable forms in
Use the tools in the
Members only section to aid in preparation of Policies, Processes, and Procedures (PPPS).
The Assessment Tool serves as a guide for sample items that trained assessors will be looking for to assess compliance.
Preparing for accreditation
Review the links found in the
Accreditation Information Manual in the Accreditation Member Tools.
Expectations of Initial Accreditation Process
- Meet ALL eligibility requirements
- Ensure ALL applicable standards for the activity to be accredited are addressed in the program or facility’s policies, processes and procedures.
Complete self-assessment for ALL activities to be accredited
Assessor(s) will be assigned to perform on-site inspection after ALL of the steps above are completed, reviewed and approved for on site assessment by AABB Accreditation and Quality Department.
International facilities will be invoiced for assessor air travel following each on-site assessment.
Facilities adding NEW activities
- Facilities that are currently accredited Institutional Members may request accreditation for additional activities at any time.
- The facility must go through the self-assessment process for the new activity.
- If the request for accreditation for an additional activity does not coincide with the facility’s current accreditation cycle (quarter), a separate accreditation event can be initiated. All subsequent accreditation events will be coordinated with the facility’s assigned accreditation cycle
Contact us in Accreditation
For more information on accreditation, contact AABB Department of Accreditation and Quality at
email@example.com or +1.301.215.6492.