AABB has long considered iron management to be an important issue in the blood donation process. In recent years, new research has expanded the current understanding of iron management in blood donors. In response to some of this new data, AABB released Association Bulletin #17-02 in 2017 to advise blood centers on ensuring optimal iron balance in blood donors, which superseded Association Bulletin #12-03, AABB’s previous guidance on iron management in blood donors, published in 2012.
In 2017, AABB convened the AABB Ad Hoc Working Group on Iron Management Among Blood Donors to conduct a comprehensive review of data regarding iron management among blood donors. The Working Group reviewed more than two dozen research studies to gather the full range of data on iron management in blood donors. The Working Group’s iron management report was published last year.
AABB recently released the proposed draft of the 32nd Edition of the Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services. The proposed draft contains updates and additions from the previous edition, including expanded standards to address iron balance in donors. The proposed draft is currently open for public comment; the comment period will close in July 9th, 2019. AABB encourages members to submit comments to ensure all perspectives on this issue are considered. All comments will be reviewed by the Blood Banks and Transfusion Services Standards Committee.
The 32nd edition of the Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services will take effect April 1, 2020.
- Cable R, Glynn S, Kiss J, et al. Iron deficiency in blood donors: the REDS-II Donor Iron Status Evaluation (RISE) study. Transfusion.2012;52:702-711
- Goldman M, Uzicanin S, Osmond L, et al. A large national study of ferritin testing in Canadian blood donors. Transfusion. 2017;57:564-570
- Kiss J, Brambilla D, Glynn S, et al. Oral iron supplementation after blood donation: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2015;313:575-583
- Kiss J, Vassallo R. How do we manage iron deficiency after blood donation? British Journal of Haematology. 2018;5:590-603
- Mast A, Bialkowski W, Bryant B, et al. A randomized, blinded, placebo-controlled trial of education and iron supplementation for mitigation of iron deficiency in regular blood donors. Transfusion. 2016;56:1588-1597
- Salvin H, Pasricha S, Marks D, Speedy J. Iron deficiency in blood donors: A national cross-sectional study. Transfusion. 2014;10:2434-2444
- Spencer B, Bialkowski W, Creel D, et al. Elevated risk for iron depletion in high‐school age blood donors. Transfusion. 2019. doi:10.1111/trf.15133