AABB has partnered with The George Washington University (GW) to offer biomedical-healthcare professionals a certificate program in cellular therapies.
The AABB Cellular Therapies Certificate Program consists of 12 professionally narrated online modules developed by faculty experts. A Certificate of Completion will be awarded following successful completion of the full program.
- Hematopoiesis and Basic Immunology
- Stem Cell Sources and Applications
- Therapeutic Cells and Potential Applications
- Assays and Assay Validation
- Aseptic Processing
|Product Sterility and Environmental MonitoringProduct Potency and EfficacyManufacturing TechnologiesTechnology TransferRegulationsDonor Screening-EligibilityConsiderations for Product Development|
|AABB Individual or Institutional Member||$1,395|
|Individual or Institutional Nonmember||$1,675|
Institutions will receive 15% off list price when purchasing 4 or more. A discount is also available to Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine Fellows (learn more).
To purchase a single program, complete the transaction in the
Marketplace. If you do not have an account, you will be prompted to create one. Individuals may only purchase one program at a time.
To purchase the program(s) as an institution, complete and return the
Payment confirmations will be provided within 2-5 business days.
Designed for busy professionals, the program is intended for, but not limited to, individuals with a basic biological or medical science background.
Technologists, Physicians, Researchers, Instructors, Students (e.g. undergraduates majoring in medical sciences and biological sciences), Cord Blood Bank personnel, Human Resources professionals, Biotech employees and nurses in the cellular therapy collection, processing and regulatory areas.
Once purchased, the student will receive a link to register for the program that includes the completion of a brief GW application. Enrollment is granted on a monthly basis after students have completed the application. Each new enrollment cycle, or cohort,
starts on the 1st of each month. Students will be placed in a cohort using the application submission date.
Each new cohort starts on the 1st of each month for those that register by the 21st of the preceding month. For example, if a student submits the GW application for the program on December 19th, then s(he) would be enrolled to start the program on January 1. Students who complete their GW application after the 21st will be enrolled in the second month following application submission date. For example, if a student submits the GW application on December 22, then s(he) would be enrolled to start the program on February 1. Students may access the program at any time after their enrollment date and up to one year afterwards. View
additional resources that explain the enrollment process.
About the Program
The online self-paced program contains professionally narrated presentations, videos, animations, and additional reading resources accessible at any time after the cohort begins on the first of each month.
Scenario-based questions are included in each of the modules to assess students’ understanding of the content presented. A review of all slides in each module and a passing score of 80% is required to complete the program.
See a list of the
contributing faculty and read their bios.
Time to Complete
It is estimated that most students will be able to complete the program within 3 months. Access to the program material will be granted for one year after the date of enrollment. A discounted retake is available for students that do not successfully complete the program initially; contact
eLearning@aabb.org to learn more.
Certificate of Completion and CE/CME Credit
Upon successful completion of the full program, students will be emailed the Certificate of Completion and continuing education credit certificate from AABB eLearning (eLearning@aabb.org) within 7 days of completing the program. AABB designates the following credit/contact hours for the Cellular Therapies Certificate Program:
- Physicians: AABB is an approved provider by the Accreditation Council on Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), to provide continuing medical education for physicians. AABB designates the Cellular Therapies Certificate Program for a maximum of 37 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP): All AABB educational programs are ACCME accredited and satisfy the “formal education” option of the ASCP Certification Maintenance Program (CMP). Participants are eligible for a maximum of 37 CMP points.
- California Nurses: AABB is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing as a provider of continuing nursing education activities. AABB designates the Cellular Therapies Certificate Program for a maximum of 37 contact hours.
- California Clinical Laboratory Personnel*: AABB is an approved accrediting agency for continuing education for California-licensed clinical laboratory personnel. AABB designates the Cellular Therapies Certificate Program for a maximum of 37 contact hours.
- Florida Clinical Laboratory Personnel*: AABB is approved by the Florida Board of Clinical Laboratory Personnel as a provider of continuing education programs for Florida-licensed clinical laboratory personnel. Credits for Florida Lab Professionals will be reported through the CE Broker platform, provided that the participant provides AABB with their license number. The AABB Cellular Therapies Certificate Program has been approved for a maximum of 37 contact hours.
- All Others/General Participation: AABB designates the Cellular Therapies Certificate Program for a maximum of 37 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
*Effective June 1, 2018, the number of California Clinical Lab Personnel (CLP) and Florida Clinical Lab Personnel (FLP) continuing education credits will change from 44.40 to 37 credits to align with the respective accrediting bodies’ credit determination calculations.
- Students that have successfully completed the program and were issued a CLP or FLP continuing education certificate for 44.40 credits have been grandfathered; therefore, their continuing education credits and certificate will not change.
- Students in the process of completing the program and do so prior to June 1, 2018 will be grandfathered and receive 44.40 credits.
- Prospective students or students currently registered and interested in CLP or FLP credit but have not completed the program, upon successful completion of the program on or after June 1, 2018 will be issued 37 CLP or FLP credits.
Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine Fellow Discount
AABB offers a 20% discount off the regular AABB member and nonmember Cellular Therapies Certificate Program registration fees. Discount cannot be applied to previously registered students.
Students eligible to register at the Fellow rate must:
- Be currently enrolled in a Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine Fellowship program.
- Provide a letter confirming status of Fellowship from your Program Director with the
Fellow Registration form. Provide letter and registration form with payment to
eLearning@aabb.org. Failure to provide the Fellowship Status letter with the registration form will result in regular registration fees being charged.
This program was made possible in part by a grant from the
National Blood Foundation.