To embrace DEIA as an essential value supporting AABB’s mission and vision,
AABB’s DEIA goals require tactical action. While activities have already been implemented, action must be consistently implemented throughout the Association. This will require the incorporation of DEIA goals into current policies and procedures.
It is understood that tactical approaches may require iterations to successfully achieve these DEIA goals. These may include:
- Incorporate DEIA into the AABB bylaws and establish a formal DEIA Committee, with representation on the AABB Board of Directors.
- Review and revise AABB policies to ensure DEIA is adequately addressed and incorporated.
- Develop criteria to ensure DEIA best practices are well integrated into the selection of award winners, session submissions, abstracts, journal editorials and other AABB resources
- Increase the number of underrepresented individuals on all volunteer groups/committees.
- Provide AABB staff and its volunteers with unconscious bias, diversity, recruitment and outreach training/mentoring.
- Conduct annual surveys of volunteers and staff to assess and improve DEIA efforts.
- Welcome a diverse range of expertise and collaborative voices in developing:
- new educational programs and content
- donor recruitment programs, messages and guidelines
- research programs.
- Build meaningful and sustained partnerships with other organizations led by, and supporting, Black communities, Indigenous communities, communities of color, LGBTQ+ communities, faith-based groups, community groups and organizations representing differently
- Develop a coordinated strategy for cultivating and enhancing alliances with Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSIs) to increase awareness of careers and advancement opportunities in the profession.
- Increase engagement in AABB’s mentorship program with a more diverse population of AABB members.
- Develop and execute a communications strategy that supports the value of DEIA and reaches all stakeholders.
- Develop, maintain and make available a repository of DEIA resources designed to amplify the role of engagement in AABB.
- Develop criteria for recognizing and acknowledging contributions by staff and vendors to advance DEIA efforts within the Association.
- Support research and develop statements to better advocate for all individuals to be able to safely donate blood and biotherapeutic starting material.
- Provide education and support research efforts on DEIA issues and issues of health inequity impacting the field.
- Build a network of researchers who can help in increasing knowledge of diverse research initiatives with an international framework.
- Establish, monitor and benchmark key metrics to measure progress in diversifying AABB and its membership.
- Publish an annual AABB DEIA Report that tracks progress toward goals. Provide regular updates to AABB’s Board of Directors and the community.
Read the rest of AABB's DEIA Action Plan.